Getting Started with RF Explorer Signal Generator
RF Explorer Signal Generator is a 100KHz-6GHz fully programmable, high accuracy handheld RF generator with CW, Sweep and Tracking functionality at a very affordable price tag.
For full specifications please visit datasheet page
Software and Documents
All documents, software downloads and firmware upgrade details are available from our download page. Make sure you visit it to get the best possible value from your instrument.
RF Explorer Signal Generator user manual available here: User Manual
You can connect your Windows PC or Mac to RF Explorer for additional functionality and stunning fullscreen color graphics, please check the download area as well as the user manual online.
Using the internal battery
This is a battery operated device, please charge the battery fully before use; it comes with half charge as the standard way to extend the battery life when it is stored for an undetermined period of time on the warehouse. But to use it you should fully charge it. Never charge your device unattended.
Note the device will automatically switch ON as soon as you plug it in the USB port, but that doesn't mean it is being charged: to charge the battery you need to switch the battery power to ON. There are more details on this FAQ article, including battery handling and care information.
Step by step tutorials for Network Analyzer mode
By combining RF Explorer Signal Generator with any of the RF Explorer Spectrum Analyzer models to the same computer, the system works as an advanced Scalar Network Analyzer:
- Measure frequency response (insertion loss in dB) of any 2-port RF device: tutorial SNA Measuring RF Filter response
- Measure return loss / reflection (in dB and linear VWSR) of any 1-port or 2-port RF device: tutorial SNA Measuring Reflection - Return Loss
- Select the right Directional Coupler for your application: tutorial Measure Directivity of Directional Couplers
Connecting to RF Explorer Generator Tool
This is a compact and efficient tool available for Windows, Mac and Linux. For more details visit dedicated page www.rf-explorer.com/rfgenhelp
Connecting RF Explorer to Windows software
For advanced tracking SNA and other functionality that requires both Spectrum Analyzer and Signal Generator connected, it is recommended to connect the devices one by one to avoid any confusion. Please check previously listed tutorials for easy step by step procedure.
Using simple CW functionality with Windows software
The simplest functionality to test is by using CW (carrier wave single frequency signal).
- Program any frequency between 24 and 6000 MHZ in the CW area for baseline RF Explorer Signal Generator, or 100KHz to 6000MHz for the RF Explorer Signal Generator Combo model.
- Select nominal power from the available option list.
- Make sure the Signal Generator has some 50ohm load before delivering RF power. Any load is valid (antenna, RF device, dummy load, etc) Failing to connect a RF load may damage the Signal Generator output stage.
- Click on [Start] button to deliver programmed RF power. The legend will change from black "RF Power OFF" into red "RF Power ON" to alert on the new status. Similarly, the Signal Generator device will alert with a RF POWER ON text at the bottom of screen.
- If you have the Spectrum Analyzer connected with a cable or device to the Signal Generator, you can go to the "Spectrum Analyzer" tab and see response there and operate with the Analyzer as usual.
- Click on [Stop] button anytime to stop delivering RF Power. Alternatively, you can click on [ENTER] button in the Signal Generator device to achieve the same result.
We suggest upgrading your unit to the very latest firmware available. Everything is available in the download area and full instructions are available on this article.
If you ordered an Expansion Module together with your main unit, you may want to follow these simple instructions to install and use it.