RF Explorer device firmware can be upgraded under MacOS X, starting with firmware version v1.12 and higher.
The how-to instructions below are tested in MacOS X 10.7 Lion and 10.11 El Capitan, and is expected to work in any version between these two.
Installing Mono Libraries
From a software perspective, the RF Explorer Firmware Uploader tool has been modified to run in MacOS X using a special set of libraries called Mono. Installing Mono libraries is very simple step, and you must complete this step only once (not every time you upgrade RF Explorer firmware).
- Download Mono libraries from this link: Mono 4.8.0 (other versions may not work correctly, please make sure you install this specific version) - If you are unsure which version do you have, if any, just reinstall this version (there is no harm on installing it multiple times, nor will take more HD space)
- Install Mono from downloaded package as shown in brief video below.
Installing USB drivers
RF Explorer requires special USB drivers to communicate with the Mac computer. You may already have these drivers installed if you are using RFVenue Vantage software, or iRF Explorer Mac software, or if you followed this upgrade process in the past. Otherwise, you need to install these drivers following these simple steps:
- Download USB drivers from this link: USB drivers - If you are unsure if the drivers are already installed, just reinstall the version (there is no harm on installing it multiple times, nor will take more HD space)
- Install USB drivers as shown in this brief video
Download the Firmware Uploader tool
IMPORTANT: Please make sure you use the right firmware and options for your device:
You should NOT upload Signal Generator firmware into a Spectrum Analyzer device!
You should NOT upload Spectrum Analyzer firmware into a Signal Generator device!
Running the Firmware Uploader tool
Download the firmware file and uploader from above links and open the dmg contents.
- Before connecting the RF Explorer device to your Mac computer, make sure the baudrate in the device is set to 500kbps in the RF Explorer internal CONFIG MENU.
- Make sure you do not have any RF Explorer device connected to your Mac computer
- Follow instructions described in this video: